In 1925 at the age of 11, Annie Bruce Leitch arrived on Ellis Island with her family from Edinburgh, Scotland. They settled in the Scottish community of Kearny. In 1932, Annie married William McCurley, with whom she gave birth to William, Julia, and Donald.
In 1963, after raising her children, Annie bought the The Thistle Fish and Chip. Annie and Bill ran the shop with the help of their children for 7 years.
In 1970, Julia and her husband Jerry, also known as Skeeter, took over the family business. Skeeter and Julie worked hard at expanding the little fish and chips shop into a famous restaurant and catering business.
Skeeter and Julia were well known throughout the community for their active participation. They had four children, Jane, Susan, William, and Anne, who all worked in the business.
In 2009, Julia and Skeeter decided to retire after 40 years in the business. They leave their legacy to their two daughters Jane and Susan who are carrying on the family tradition of serving their neighborhood with their secret family batter recipe for the old country style fish and chips.